Marco Bitran

Curtis Tate, USA TODAY
Published 3: 39 p.m. ET May 31,2020


The Grand Princess cruise ship, once carrying some 3,000 travelers some stricken with coronavirus, went back to port in the San Francisco Bay Area Tuesday with almost 650 team members aboard after they had completed their 14- day quarantine. (April 7).

AP Domestic

The household of a California cruise ship traveler who passed away of coronavirus has actually sued Princess Cruises and its moms and dad company in federal court.

Ronald Wong, 64, and his better half, Eva, were guests on the Grand Princess when the ship set sail from San Francisco on Feb.21 He passed away in a California healthcare facility a month later after checking favorable for coronavirus. Eva Wong tested positive and recovered.

According to the grievance, filed recently in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, Princess and its moms and dad, Carnival Corp., must have known that a traveler on the ship’s prior voyage had coronavirus

The 71- year-old man, who had actually boarded the ship previously in February for a journey to Mexico, passed away March 4 at a health center in Roseville, California. He was the very first known California resident to pass away from the virus.

According to the grievance, 62 guests and 1,000 crew members who cruised on the Grand Princess to Mexico remained on board for the next sailing to Hawaii.

In a conference call with press reporters on March 7, Carnival’s primary medical officer Grant Tarling exposed that the traveler who died just days earlier had potentially contaminated other travelers and team members.

The Grand Princess docked at the Port of Oakland on March 9, and numerous passengers were transported to two military bases in California for a 14- day quarantine. The Wongs were taken to Travis Flying force Base.

The Centers for Illness Control and Avoidance issued a no-sail order for cruise liner on March 14

The Wongs initially revealed no signs of the virus. However, Ronald established a fever and persistent cough, and was required to a hospital in Vallejo, California, on March16 Both checked positive for coronavirus.

He passed away March24 Eva Wong, who had actually scheduled the cruise to celebrate her other half’s birthday, never ever got to visit him in the hospital.

Five people died and 131 checked positive from the Hawaii cruising of the Grand Princess

The Wong lawsuit is one of roughly a lots submitted by Grand Princess passengers or their families.

The company does not discuss pending litigation, Princess Cruises spokesperson Negin Kamali informed USA TODAY.


Program Thumbnails

Program Captions

Read or Share this story: grand-princess-passenger-died-coronavirus-family-sues-carnival-cruise-line/5299960002/

Read More

Leave a Reply