Great character is tough to define in the abstract, but simple to determine when it’s embodied in the lives of great individuals. In order to illuminate what worthwhile character looks like, my visitor today has actually composed a book which consists of profiles of 10 of history’s most significant admirals, marking out both their inspiring and problematic qualities, along with how these qualities intersected with their ability to lead. His name is Admiral James Stavridis, he served as the leader of United States Southern Command, United States European Command, and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, and is now the dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. On today’s show, the admiral speak about a lot of the figures in his latest book, Cruising Real North: Ten Admirals and the Voyage of Character, consisting of
- The distinction between leadership and character (and why they’re frequently incorrectly utilized interchangeably)
- The complicated reality of human nature, and how we can learn even from failures of character and management
- Who was Themistocles? What can we gain from him?
- What about ancient Chinese commander Zheng He?
- Sir Francis Drake’s decisiveness
- Why Horatio Nelson was maybe the best admiral of perpetuity
- What we can gain from the scholastic Alfred Thayer Mahan
- Why was Chester Nimitz the “admiral’s admiral”?
- Grace Hopper and the power of intellectual interest
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first interview with Admiral Stavridis
- Pol Pot
- 43 Books About War Every Guy Should Check Out
- 36 Books Every Young and Ambitious Male Must Check Out
- Zheng He
- Sir Francis Drake
- Horatio Nelson
- How Leaders Build Great Teams
- Should a Man Be Influenced By History?
- AoM series on resiliency
- The Impact of Sea Power on History
- Admiral Grace Hopper
- How to Be an Imaginative Genius Like da Vinci
Connect With Admiral James Stavridis
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us an evaluation!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a complimentary month when you utilize code “manliness” at checkout.
Lab-grown diamonds are essentially chemically similar to natural ones, just made in a laboratory. Examine them out at lightboxjewelry.com/MANLINESS use code MANLINESS for $25 off.
Squarespace. Developing a site has actually never ever been simpler. Start your free trial today at Squarespace.com/ manliness and get in code “manliness” at checkout to get 10%off your very first purchase.
Read the Transcript